“The Five Freedoms:
- Freedom from Hunger and Thirst – by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from Discomfort – by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease – by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour – by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from Fear and Distress – by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.”¹
Whales are telling us...
And what's special about whales?
¹ Five principles of animal welfare: National Animal Interest Alliance. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2016, from http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/article/what-is-animal-welfare-and-why-is-it-important#sthash.4eYhymhI.dpbs